B1 Writing Tips

PET Writing Guide

What are your goals when doing PET Writing?

  • Answer the question.
  • Demonstrate a good level of vocabulary and grammar.
  • Show that you can organise your writing.
  • Stick to 100 words.


But how can you do all of this in the short time that you have (around 20 mins per task)

It’s very useful for you to have a standard format which you can adapt to each question.  Here is one possibility:

Essay/Article:
INTRODUCTION – Define the question, paraphrasing it.  Simply express your opinion.
Body Paragraph 1 – Express then explain your first point.
Body Paragraph 2 – Do the same for your second point.
CONCLUSION – Briefly conclude, repeating your opinion using different words.  Try to motivate or inspire your reader.

Letter
INTRODUCTION – Greet your reader, thank him/her for their letter.
Body 1 and 2 (just like the essay)
CONCLUSION – Ask your reader a question and say that you look forward to their next letter.

What about grammar?
At B1 level, you should be able to use a variety of grammatical structures.  Try to make sure that you always use: past simple, present perfect, comparatives and conditionals and other B1 language in each letter.  You could include them in your standard plan.  For example:

Introduction for a letter: “Thanks for your letter, I really enjoyed reading it.” (PAST SIMPLE)
Conclusion for a letter: “Write to me as soon as you can.” “If you get the chance, write to me and let me know what…”
Giving your opinion: “If I were you, then I would…”  “If I were in your shoes, I would…”

Essay/Article:
When giving examples, try to use a past tense:
If I want to say that "there are not enough buses in the city", I could instead say:
"Over the last 5 years, the number of buses in the city has been decreasing."
"Over the past 3 years, the number of buses in the city has decreased."

You can also plan to include conditionals in your essays.  At first, it might seem difficult to think of a conditional form, but with some practice it can become much easier.  One method is to reverse reality.  For example, if I want to talk about public transport, I could use a simple sentence like:
“There aren’t enough schools in my city”
Or I could add a conditional form:
“If there were more schools in my city, would have a much higher level of education in my city”
“If we build more schools, then the next generation will have a much better future.”
If you practice this, it will become much easier, and you will be able to use conditionals in your speaking too.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cambridge PET Speaking Part 2 Tips

Do's and Don'ts of Essay Writing

Past continuous